Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A successful weekend of training

This past weekend was a successful one for training. I took a break from the long running miles and decided to work a little on my tri training. That event will be here before I know it.


When I registered for the Black Bear Triathlon I knew that biking would be my weakness. Obviously. I've always been a swimmer and I've been running for two years. I have never biked. I remember telling my boyfriend awhile ago that I will never get on a bike and that I would never do a triathlon. I have no idea how I convinced myself otherwise. I guess to prove to myself that I can accomplish anything I want to.


So this winter, actually just the past two months, I have been riding the fluid trainer in the exercise room. 30 minutes here, and hour there. But this past weekend Matt decided he wanted me to complete my first brick workout of the season. Sure, why not, I thought.


So we set out on Saturday, midafternoon. He told me the route would be about 15 miles with some hills, not too bad. Not too bad for him! I am the one who is trying to learn how to clip in my cleats, how to change gears, keeping up my cadence, riding the aerobars, stopping with traffic and unclipping one shoe so I don't fall over. I'm also the one learning how to increase speed downhills, learning to drink from a water bottle while in motion and taking gels! It's a lot at once. I was able to retrieve my water bottle and take a drink, once!


Climbing the hills were the toughest for me on this ride. It's kind of like when I run, I am terrible at running uphill!! I learned I have to practice that a lot more. You aren't going to get better at running hills or biking hills unless you training doing so!


Also, I am very nervous about increasing my speed downhills. It's something about flying down a hill on a bike that freaks me out. I need to get over that!


On a positive note, I completed the full 16.8 miles, and it was faster then the first time I was out on the road. My first time on the road we went 10.4 miles and I was just trying to get the feel of what it's like to be out on the road.


So it was off the bike, and onto taking a gel, drinking water and putting on my running shoes. Then out the door we went for a run. 3 miles, my race distance. Talk about weird. Going from pedaling to running, my legs felt out of whack. It took me a good mile to get them used to running. I don't have any complaints or concerns about the run, I completed it!


Matt kept telling me how proud he was that I completed my first brick of the season. Me being me responded with, "it wasn't that fast though!" He told me he was just happy that I completed it and that I didn't quit. I never quit. True.


That night I was exhausted!! Talk about really shocking your body. But it also gave me the confidence I needed. I completed a 16.8 mile bike ride ( race distance is 17.0 miles) and followed it with a 3 mile run (race distance is 3.1 miles). Right on for the first one!


That wasn't the end of my weekend either. Sunday I was planning on a rest day with a leg strengthening session. Well, Matt decided to do a tempo run, and somehow convinced me to do it with him. So I laced up the sneaks again and off we went. 4 miles, tempo. I expected to feel sluggish, but it was the complete opposite. I did .5 as a warmup, 2 miles at an 8:30 pace and 1.5 strong.


Yesterday I was still feeling good. I decided to take to the pool. 3600 yards, distance.


All in all a good past couple of days.


Goals for this week: one more bike ride, a distance run, another speed workout, possibly one more swim, with some strength training if time permits.


Sunday March 20th we are running a 5k that goes before the St. Patrick's Day parade. Supposedly it's a flat and fast course. I'm goingto be in the 24's for this 5k. No excuses. Speed hurts. Failure is not an option.


I also got really pumped up when the LV Half Marathon posted this year's medal on their facebook page. 47 more days, I really can't wait to have it around my neck. That will mean that I will have accomplished one of the goals that I have had for a long time!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment