Tuesday, March 29, 2011

St. Patrick's Day 5k, 3/20/11

Well, this is a little overdue. I ran the St. Patrick's Day 5k on Sunday, March 20th. It was the first 5k of the 2011 season and a great one at that! Advertisements for this race emphasized that it was a flat and fast course. My goal: hit it in the 24's!

The day before Matt and I drove the course, and I'm glad that we did. Definitely flat, with a little incline, but nothing to cry over.

The race started at 12:15pm, which was a little different for me because I'm used to racing in the morning. I was awake by 9am. I was able to get in a good breakfast and relaxed on the couch for awhile. 10:30am we made our way to the race.

The morning flew by. Next thing I knew, we were lined up waiting for the start. I started 3 or 4 rows behind the start. I always start close to the front, especially on races that aren't chipped timing. I want to get over that start line as quickly as possible!


12:15pm, horn sounded the start and we're off. My ipod goes through the first song, always "Thunderstruck" by ACDC. Next song on the race list was supposed to be "Diamond Eyes" by Shinedown. It wasn't. I'm quickly approaching mile 1 when I realized that I forgot to turn my ipod to the "race mix," rather then just playing through the list of songs. So I'm running and trying to switch my ipod to my race mix. I specifically had set up my ipod the night before so that each song was arranged to play at a certain time during the race. It was very sunny that day and in the 50's. I could barely see the options on the ipod screen. Mypace slowed alot, but I knew I wasn't going to run to just any random song! I was eventually able to change it, and get back on pace. Mile 1: 7:50 pace.


In this race, runners pass by the start after mile 1. I thought this was an energy booster, especially for me. Everyone crowding around the finish area made for a lot of cheering. However, I had the best cheering section. My co-worker and best friend came with her four year old son. They made Matt and I a poster and showed much support. It was very sweet. I remember standing in the start line and looking over to see little Connor waving to me!! Jodi took some fantastic photos. It was great to share my accomplishment with such a great friend!

Fast forwarding, as I don't have much to say about mile 2. I approached the last half mile and knew that I would have to put forth some major effort to make it to the finish in under 25 minutes. Next thing I know, Matt is running towards me down the street. I catch up to him and he runs side by side with me for about .10 and is telling me that I better beat the female runner in front of me. He always has a way of pushing me and getting me pumped up. He simply said, "Don't let her beat you!"



I knew I didn't have far to go. I sprinted past that female runner and as I turned the corner I caught up to another female runner. She sensed that I was pushing it and she started pushing too. It came down to who wanted it the most at the end. Of course, I did! I blew past her and the finish and clocked a 24:51!!!! Fastest to date. 8:01 pace.



I set a goal and I accomplished it, no matter how bad it hurt or how tired I became. But I also realized something. It's not all about what you have on race day, it's about the work and effort you put in every other day of the week that truly counts. I have been incorporating tempo runs into my training a lot more, which has helped me to establish a quicker pace.

I am very blessed and thankful. I am doing something right! I have been injured numerous times, but this time I have really seemed to bounce back. Eating right and resting is a must! I even changed my training program, but definitely for the better. Each race I am learning, improving and accomplishing my goals.

What's next???

Kutztown 10 miler this Saturday, April 2nd. This will be my second 10 mile race. Rather then nervous, I am actually excited for this one. I know what to expect. I learned a lot from the first one and I'm prepared to make changes for this one.

What's my goal??

Under 1:30. I've set a reasonable goal. I have mapped out this course, I know where the hill is, and I say bring it on!

1 comment: