Friday, May 11, 2012

St. Luke's Half Marathon, 4/29/12

I wasn't too sure how this race was going to go being that I just finished my first triathlon of the season. I spent a lot of time after the Miami Marathon training for South Beach, which meant less running miles. After we returned home from South Beach we increased our mileage in the pool, on the bike and running. However with the time that I had left before the half marathon I was only able to get in a 10, 12 and 8 mile distance run. Last year I ran this race and it was my first half marathon ever. I finished in 2:01. This year, after completing 2 half marathons and a full marathon my goal was to finish in under 2 hours. 


Matt and I decided that I would benefit by running with one of the pace groups. We couldn't decide if I should run with the 2:00 pacer and then pick up the speed at the end or run with the 1:55 pacer and try to hold on. He told me to go with how I felt.


I ran 3 miles 2 days out of race day and they were the worst 3 miles of my life! I felt terrible! So I went into this half with no expectations.


The race started and I felt great. I found the 1:55 pacer right from the start and ran with him. For those of you who don't know 1:55 is a 8:47 pace. This felt extremely easy and I wasn't expending any energy. This pacer was great too, always cheering and chanting and really motivating the group. I know why marathoners run in groups now. The whole group seemed to swallow me up and pull me along. Almost effortless.


A few days before the race, St. Luke's sent an email stating that the course was changed due to falling rock in the parkway. The change of course meant a decent hill at mile 7 followed by the hills in the parkway.


I stayed right by the 1:55 pacer until the hill at mile 7. I fell off pace slightly but he was still in my sight. On the downhill going into the parkway I was able to catch back up and a stay with the pace group, until the next hill after mile 8. At that point I fell slightly off pace and I wasn't able to catch back up. It came to the point where I decided I had to run my own race and bring it home.


At mile 10 I knew I was still under the 2 hour mark and I didn't feel like I was cracking. I made sure to grab water and gatorade at each water stop and took my gels every 45 minutes. 


The last 3.1 miles I gave it everything I had left in the tank. The climb into the stadium was a walk in the park compared to last year. I remember feeling like I was dying going into the stadium and barely being able to make it around the track. This year I dug deep to the finish line.


1:58, 4 minutes faster than last year.


Runner's high for the rest of the day.


I call that an accomplishment.



No comments:

Post a Comment