Friday, May 11, 2012

Nautica South Beach Triathlon, Sprint, 4/1/12

 First TRI of the year. Matt did this race last year and loved it so once I got the TRI fever we agreed that we would go back to South Beach so I could do it this year. I studied the results from last year and realized that I had a very good chance of making the podium based on last year's results. Podium was top 5 at this race. I wasn't sure how I would adjust to the warmer weather being that I trained in the cold up until this race. But I did what I could beforehand to acclimate myself to the weather. We bought a room heater and turned up the heat when we did our indoor trainer rides and during treadmill runs I wore extra clothes in the gym to make it even hotter.
 We arrived in Miami the Friday before the race. The evening we took our bikes out on the bike course to test them out and so that I could see what the course was like. 

The day before: We took a nice long swim in the ocean around 10am in the morning. What a mistake! The waves were horrendous. I remember thinking, I hope it's not like this tomorrow morning! 


Race morning: I have never seen so many triathletes before! What a great atmosphere. This was the biggest race I have been to this far. I set up my transition area, ate breakfast and then we went to the beach and relaxed until the start. Matt started about 30 minutes ahead of me, so while I was waiting I relaxed in the ocean, occassionally swimming to keep lose.




The Swim: .5 mile. I stood in the front line of my wave. The gun went off, I sprinted towards the water. I trampled over quite a few girls. I will never understand why people who struggle in the swim start at the front of the wave? It is an inconvenience to the better swimmers. I spent a good couple of minutes passing the slower swimmers, hitting them, swimming over them, you name it. Eventually I was able to get away and had a great spot. The swim was quick from that point on, I passed a few more girls with my color cap and I passed quite a few swimmers in the waves before more. Up and out of the water and running into transition. It's uphill out of the ocean and I passed another girl in my age group during the run into transition.


The bike: Quickest 19 miles of my life! It went by very quickly. The causeways slowed me down a little bit, but other than that I had a successful ride. Very scenic too. I passed a lot of people, but at the same time I was also passed by 2 girls in my age group. On the bike I thought I was sitting in 3rd place.


The run: 4 miles. The hardest part of a triathlon for me, go figure. I have a very hard time running off the bike. The first 2 miles of this run were good for me, I wasn't passed by anyone in my age group. I always pay attention to who passes me, I'm constantly staring at the age on the back of everyone's legs! At the turn around the heat finally caught up to me. I started to struggle. My pace slowed up and go figure I was passed. With about a mile  left in the run I was sitting in 5th place. If only I could have held on a little longer. Passed again just shy of the turn into the finish. 


Yes, I missed the podium by :50 seconds. That seems to be how most of my races pan out. Always passed on the run. People probably think, but she runs all the time how can she struggle with this? All I have to say is, try running 3+ miles after biking 20+ miles. It's a feeling you just can't explain.


7th in my age group. 1st race of the season. Biggest race competed in. I wasn't complaining, but I knew when I returned home to PA, I had a lot of work to do.





No comments:

Post a Comment